The Department of Education at Maynooth University is a dynamic department with an extensive range of teaching and research activities. It has a full-time academic staff of sixteen lecturers and a large part-time staff. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees to more than 700 students, ranging from undergraduate to doctoral level. It offers initial teacher education for post-primary teachers through the Professional Master of Education (PME), and through the Bachelor of Science/Maths/Computer Science with Education (BSc.Ed).
We are currently seeking applications from experienced educational professionals to work as placement tutors on the undergraduate Bachelor of Science/Maths/Computer Science with Education (BSc.Ed) and the post-primary Professional Master of Education (PME) programme. A placement tutor is a person primarily engaged by the Department of Education to support and mentor student teachers and to evaluate their practice while on school placement.At present, vacancies exist for all subject areas and geographical regions. Applications from candidates with expertise in Maths and Science subjects and the capacity to conduct their work through the medium of the Irish language are particularly welcomed. The role is suitable for recently retired teachers, for teachers with job-sharing arrangements and for teachers with part-time teaching hours. The role is not suitable for teachers who are already working full-time (22 hours).
Specifically, the ideal candidate will have:
- Worked, or be working, in a school or educational setting within the last 2 years and be registered with the Teaching Council
- Extensive experience of teaching and/or leadership roles in post-primary schools and a proven track record in relation to his/her subject area(s)
- Expertise in online teaching, learning and assessment
- The capacity to work for approximately 20-40 days throughout the school year
- Well-developed skills in relation to supporting, mentoring and evaluating teachers’ professional practice
- The means to travel to schools in a given geographical area and the capacity to support the Department of Education to build partnership with placement schools
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to work alone and as part of a team, proficient organisational and ICT skills, and the capacity to exercise discernment in the assessment of teaching and learning
- A Master’s qualification or higher in the field of education.
Placement tutors will be recruited on a part-time basis, based on demand, for up to one school year at a time. This is not a permanent role and only candidates who have demonstrable experience of working in a school or education setting within two years of the start date of this role will be considered. Candidates may be engaged for a period of up to six years and regional considerations will apply. Placement tutors are remunerated using the Maynooth University occasional rates of pay for tutorial work. In addition, travel allowances are paid in line with university rates. A programme of professional development will be provided to prepare successful candidates for their role as a placement tutor. This involves both an induction programme and monthly CPD meetings to support tutors in their role.
How to Apply
Applications should be made by completing the Placement Tutor Application Form and sending it by email to email@example.com to arrive no later than midnight, Monday 24th May 2021 using the subject line ‘Placement Tutor Application’. There is no need to include a cover letter or CV. Late applications will not be accepted. It is anticipated that interviews will be held on the week of 14th June and short listing will apply.