AWARDS AND PRIZES 2018:
A number of Maynooth University researchers were recognised for their contribution by external awards In 2017/18, and we are proud to acknowledge these, which reflect the excellence of the University across the full span of its faculties.
- Maynooth University Researcher of the Year was awarded to Professor Rob Kitchin, Department of Geography and the MU Social Sciences Institute.
- The winner of the Maynooth University Early Career Researcher of the Year was Dr Karen, Department of Biology and MU Kathleen Lonsdale Research Institute.
- Head of the Department of Biology and Director of the MU Kathleen Lonsdale Research Institute, Professor Paul Moynagh, was awarded the Faculty of Science and Engineering Research Achievement Award.
- Professor David Stifter, School of Celtic studies, MU Arts and Humanities Institute was awarded the Faculty of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy Research Achievement Award.
- The winner of the Early Career Achievement Award in the Faculty of Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy was Dr Deborah Hayden, School of Celtic Studies, and MU Arts and Humanities Institute
- Dr Conor Murphy, Department of Geography and ICARUS Climate Research Centre was awarded the Early Career Achievement Award in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- The 2018 Gruber Cosmology Prize was awarded to Professor Anthony Murphy of the Department of Experimental Physics.
- Professor of Psychology and Social Inclusion Malcolm ‘Mac’ MacLachlan was awarded the Royal Irish Academy Gold medal for social sciences.
- Researcher, Professor John Ringwood of the Department of Electronic Engineering was awarded one of France’s highest accolades: The Chevalier des Palmes Académiques.
- The Institute of Inorganic Chemists in Ireland Dr David Brown Prize was awarded to Dr Malachy McCann of the Department of Chemistry, Maynooth University.
- Labour Economist, Dr Aedín Doris, of the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, was awarded the 2017 Miriam Hederman O’Brien Prize.
- The prestigious 2018 inaugural Brendan Walsh Prize for Economic and Social Research was awarded to Maynooth University Labour Economist, Professor Donal O’Neill of the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting.
- Dr John Reynolds of the Department of Law was awarded the 2017 Kevin Boyle Book Prize for Outstanding Legal Scholarship by the Irish Association of Law Teachers (IALT).
- Anthropologist, Dr Chandana Mathur, was presented with a Distinguished Service Award in recognition of her contribution to the unification in November 2017 of the IUAES and the World Council of Anthropological Associations (WCAA).