Study Abroad

Employment Opportunities Students who graduate with an International Degree are in high demand with employers. International experience gained as part of your degree will give you an advantage over other job seekers. In an increasingly global market, employers want to hire people who are familiar with other cultures, languages, and countries.

“…studying abroad isn’t just an important part of a well-rounded educational experience. It’s also becoming increasingly important for success in the modern global economy. Getting ahead in today’s workplaces isn’t just about the skills you bring from the classroom. It’s also about the experience you have with the world beyond our borders — with people, and languages, and cultures that are very different from our own.”
- Michelle Obama, First Lady of the United States of America
January 2011

Information on the year abroad will be provided by the Department’s International Coordinator, Dr. Mercedes Carbayo-Abengózar, and by the International Office.
Spanish and Latin American Studies International Coordinator:
Dr. Mercedes Carbayo-Abengózar​

Room 2.108
Callan Building,
+353 1 474 7120
International Office Website:
Erasmus Study Abroad Guide

Spanish and Latin American Studies Guidelines:
Students who wish to spend a year abroad must complete second year successfully.
All European Studies students must spend their third year in a foreign university.
Students may be directed to study in certain universities depending on their subjects.

In Semester I, students interested in studying abroad should contact the International Co-ordinator (Dr. Mercedes Carbayo-Abengózar​​) to register their expression of interest.

In Semester II, the Spanish and Latin American Studies will invite a representative from the International Office to give a talk in the Department on the procedures to be followed for those interested in studying abroad.

In Semester II, the Co-ordinator will meet with interested students in order to discuss their study abroad options.

Students should familiarise themselves with website of the university they wish to go to.

Students must ensure that they register for modules equivalent to 60 credits at the host University.

Students are required to pass modules worth 30 ECTS in Spanish language or cultural courses in order to satisfy the requirements of the Dept for the BA International and to progress into the final year of study.
The credits for Spanish-language courses are assigned by your host university.
Students should liaise with the International Coordinator at Maynooth University to choose subjects to study, as these must be approved by the Dept and entered on a Learning Agreement Form. 
Any changes to courses must be approved by the coordinator in the Spanish Department at Maynooth University by sending a revised learning agreement to Spanish and Latin American Studies Coordinator Dr. Mercedes Carbayo-Abengózar​ and to the International Office.
Students should keep in touch with the International Office and the Coordinator throughout the year. 
Please complete the Expression of interest Form and submit it to Dr. Mercedes Carbayo-Abengózar​. 

Department of Spanish Partner Universities:

Spanish Universities:
Universidad de Alcalá de Henares
Universidad de Alicante
Universidad de La Laguna (Tenerife)
Universidad de Murcia
Universidad de Oviedo
Universidad de Valladolid
Universidad de Pompeu Fabra  Portuguese Universities:
Universidade de Coimbra
Universidade de Lisboa
Latin American Universities
Universidad de Guadalajara (Mexico)
Universidad de Montevideo (Uruguay) 

The University has links with other universities also, and you may, with the approval of the Department, avail of these. 
Teaching Assistantships in Spain: The Irish Department of Education, in conjunction with the Spanish Government, offers a limited number of teaching assistantships in Spain to suitably qualified Irish candidates. Students might consider applying for an assistantship after completing the degree or, alternatively, taking a year out after the second year to work as an English language assistant in the Spanish secondary school system. If it is done in the third year of study and students meet certain academic requirements, they may qualify for a BA International. These assistantships are advertised near the end of the second semester. A notice will be put on the notice board and on the website to advise people of the assistantships. Application forms will be available from the Departmental Office; they can also be obtained directly from the Department of Education Completed application forms must be returned to the Department of Education & Science, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, and not to the Department of Spanish.
To allow students to teach Spanish at Post-Primary level in Ireland the Teaching Council requires residential experience of a minimum of three months in Spain or other country where Spain is the vernacular. Documentary evidence of this will be required. 
Irish College at Alcala Academic Exchange Programme:
Under the Agreement for Academic Exchange and Cooperation between the National University of Ireland, Maynooth
and the University of Alcalá, Spain  under the Banner of the Irish College at Alcala, the university offers an annual Spanish language scholarship:
Scholarship for a Spanish Language Course in the University of Alcalá (Spain)


Students who intend their teaching assistantship to form part of their final qualification should note that they must register for their year abroad via the Student Web.  Students should notify the Student Records and Registration Office ( well in advance of their teaching assistantship year abroad to ensure that it is made available to them when they register online.  Registration is normally in the September at the beginning  of the year abroad.  As with students who go on Erasmus, teaching assistantship students are liable for university fees and are required to meet academic requirements for satisfactory progress.