LiveScribe Smartpen: never miss a word
What starts on paper, doesn't have to stay there. LiveScribe Smartpen allows you to bring your words and ideas into your digital world. The pen lets you write digital notes using special paper and a pen with a tiny built-in infrared camera that tracks the nib's exact location on the page.
Features of the LiveScribe Smartpen:
- "2 in 1 Device" Record your audio and writing with a built in camera and recorder.
- Converts handwritten notes and sketches to digital.
- Pairs with your iPhone or iPad (compatible with Android and IOS).
- Built-in WiFi adaptor to communicate with your PC rather than a wired USB connection.
- Replay audio directly from paper by tapping on your notes.
- Sync to Evernote.
Handwriting has a speed of approximately 20 words per minute but with plenty of practice you can learn how to type up to 60 words per minute. Good keyboard skills are a really important skill to develop in university. This will allow you to take fast and accurate notes in lectures and will save a lot of time when it comes to typing up your assignments.
GoodTyping.com is one of the resources that you can use to improve your typing skills. Features of GoodTyping.com include:
- Learn how to type correctly in just a few hours using all your fingers.
- You will soon be typing faster than you ever imagined.
- 27 guided lessons to learn step-by-step from the beginning.
- Choose between 23 different keyboard layouts.
- Web-based course. No downloads required.
- Sign up for free typing lessons on GoodTyping.com.
Additional Resources for Touch Typing:
Audio Notetaker is an ideal piece of assistive technology software to help those who struggle with note-taking. The software allows the user to import their audio from their computer or a portable device such as a digital voice recorder. AudioNotetaker gives you a visual timeline of your lectures which you can edit, amend, organise and tag resources in conjunction with slides.
Features of AudioNotetaker:
- Capture, Organise and Communicate your information.
- Import Audio, Images, Texts and Slides.
- Link notes, images and slides with matching audio recordings.
- Export to MS Word.
- Compatible with MAC and Window.
- Free 30 day trial can be downloaded for PC and MAC.
Read&Write is the main literacy support tool available here in the university. It is designed to assist users of all ages and ability who require extra assistance when reading, composing, or proofing written text. Read&Write is used to produce accurate assignments, for study and research support, and on-the-go, independent learning.
Features of Texthelp Read&Write:
- Help with reading, writing assignments and online research.
- Hear web pages and documents read aloud.
- Read &Write makes the web, documents and files more accessible.
- Assists students at all levels with everyday tasks like reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words.
- Researching assignments and proofing written work.
- Installed on all campus PC’s.
- Free 30 day trial for Android, IPAD, Windows, MAC OS, Chrome
Inspiration Mind Mapping
Inspiration is a visual learning tool that inspires students to organize and develop their ideas. Visual thinking is a learning style where the learner better understands and retains information when ideas, words and concepts are associated with images. Visual learning helps students organize and analyze information, integrate new knowledge and think critically.
Features of Inspiration:
- Useful for Visual Learners Inspiration allows you to visually express your thoughts and notes as mind-map.
- Brainstorm and capture ideas quickly with RapidFire tool.
- Aides in troubleshooting links or relationships between topics when mapped out.
- Brainstormed mind-maps can be exported to Word documents thus overcoming writers' block when starting Assignments.
- Can be used in conjunction with Dragon (speech recognition software).
- Installed on all campus PC’s.
- Free 30 day Trial for MAC and PC.
Dragon is the voice recognition software used here in the university. Voice recognition software lets you dictate documents, search the web, email and more on your computer quickly and accurately just by using your voice. From making status updates and searching the web to creating reports and spreadsheets, Dragon speech recognition software lets you do it all—faster and more efficiently.
Features of Dragon:
- Accurately incorporates custom commands with its voice-adaptation program.
- You can dictate either with a microphone headset or just speak into your computer’s microphone.
- This software dictates and transcribes documents very accurately.
- You can also set preferences so tricky dictation, like spelling out numbers versus writing numerals, will be automatic.
- Can be used on PC and MAC – no free trial.
Dragon Quick Reference Card
If you feel that you are struggling to juggle lectures, reading, travel, revision, free time and other responsibilities, it could be time to learn some tips on how to manage the workload and balance your time. Time-management is a vital skill, one that will be necessary in your chosen career as well as in university. The following are some time-management strategies that you may want to incorporate into your time-management routine for lectures, research, assignments and study time.
Time Management Quick Reference Cards:
Google Calendar: Is a time-management web and mobile application. With Google's free online calendar, it is easy to keep track of life's important events all in one place.
Studious: Ensures you never lose track of homework or exams, and keeps you punctual for your classes.
Google Keep: Quickly capture what’s on your mind and get a reminder later at the right place or time. Speak a voice memo on the go and have it automatically transcribed.
One Note: Type, hand write, draw, and clip things from the web to get down your thoughts into your notebook.
Trello: A task management app with 'to do' lists, reminders, task completion status and several other project planning functions.
Cogi: A note taking and voice recording app that records only the important parts of conversations and lets you add images, hashtags and text notes, keeping everything in one place.
Additional training is available through LIST Sessions in the library, also further training is available through Technology Training.
- Answering Essay Questions