Welcome to the Maynooth University Writing Centre.
The Writing Centre is located in Block 2, Room B11/B12, Education House, North Campus.
The Maynooth University Writing Centre offers free, friendly, non-judgemental writing help to any student, undergraduate or postgraduate, regardless of course, degree or level. The support we offer is primarily through one-to-one appointments, where students can discuss their writing with peer/expert tutors. In addition, Writing Centre staff offer writing workshops, support writing groups, engage in discipline specific work, and research in academic writing and related fields.
We look forward to hearing from you and meeting you at the Centre.
Dr Adeline Cooney
Maynooth University Writing Centre
Centre for Teaching and Learning.
Booking an Appointment
We are piloting an automated booking system this semester.
To make an appointment, click on the link here: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/WritingCentre202120221@maynoothuniversity.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/s/cUGR6gZf-0qISgc83Ly6-w2
- You must use your MU email address to make an appointment
- Select the date on which you would like to meet a tutor
- Select the time you would like to meet
- Fill in your contact details
- Complete the required questions. Please make sure you indicate whether you wish to meet in-person or online.
- You may also cancel or reschedule your appointment from the “reply” page.
If you encounter any difficulty, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointments are available at the times listed below.
Please note appointments on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (10.00am, 11.00am and 12.15pm) are on-line.
Please note: one-to-one appointments last 45 minutes.
in the morning
in the morning
|10.00 - 10.45||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one|
|11.00 - 11.45||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one|
|12.15 - 1.00||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one|
|1.00 - 1.45||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one||one-to-one|
|2.00 - 2.45||one-to-one||one-to-one||Closed||one-to-one||Closed|
|3.15 - 4.00||one-to-one||one-to-one||Closed||one-to-one||Closed|
|4.00 - 4.45||one-to-one||one-to-one||Closed||one-to-one||Closed|
When you attend an appointment
In line with COVID restrictions please adhere to the following:
- When you arrive, please knock on the door and take a seat. Wait until you are called into the Writing Centre;
- Please sanitise your hands before your session, and on your way out. Hand sanitizer is available at the foot of the stairs to the Writing Centre;
- During your appointment you are required to wear a mask or face shield;
- You will not be able to share a screen or paper during the appointment, so please email your assignment and/or draft writing to your tutor in advance of the appointment;
- Please bring your own pen and paper or laptop to the appointment;
- Follow on appointments can be booked through the automated booking system.
- If you have symptoms or a diagnosis of Covid-19 please do not attend in person for your appointment. You can reschedule your appointment through the automated booking system (see above).
Writing Centre Student Moodle Space
Further information regarding the Centre’s opening hours and specific services will be posted on the Centre’s Moodle space. This can be accessed through the Maynooth University Moodle homepage or at this link: https://moodle.maynoothuniversity.ie/course/view.php?id=4050#section-1
There are a range of resources available to you on our Moodle page including:
- essay writing resources
- referencing guides
- grammar and punctuation guides
Check out our Table of Contents (on Moodle) for a full overview of the resources available.
We also have an academic writing guide, which was developed by Writing Centre staff, and is hosted on the University Library pages:http://nuim.libguides.com/academicwriting