Required criteria for an Approved Access Course:
- A least one year’s duration
- A recognised HEI or CFE provider, or equivalent (e.g. other EU qualifications at Level 5 on the NFQ).
Rules for Matriculation
In the case of the following degrees, successful completion of an approved access course, and meeting the normal university selection procedures will satisfy admission criteria:
- MH103 Bachelor of Music
- MH116 BA in Community & Youth Work
- MH802 BA in Community & Youth Work (part-time, in-service)
Rules for admission to broad entry degrees
For MH101 Arts and MH108 European Studies: a related higher education access course with 60% overall will meet requirements for admission.
For MH201 Science, a related science programme is required which includes maths, with an overall grade of 60%, with at least 50% attainment in maths.
MH404 Business, a related higher education access course with 60% overall will meet requirements for admission, with at least 50% attainment in maths.
MH601 and MH602, Computer Science, a related higher education access course with 60% overall will meet requirements for admission, with at least 50% attainment in maths.
Note: The maths requirement may be met in the Leaving Certificate, GC(S)E or equivalent
This sets out the policy for 2018 admission. Currently the above routes are the only pathways available for students taking access courses who are not of mature years. There is no provision for non-mature access to denominated degrees at this time.
Notes to Access Course Pathways Policy
- Intending applicants should tick the FE box on the CAO. Applicants may apply before May 1st annually.
- The onus is on the applicant to advise the Admissions Office that they are currently pursuing an access course, or have completed one. They will then have to forward the results to the Admissions Office.