Vision: Wellcome supports science to solve the urgent health challenges facing everyone.
- Support a broad programme of Discovery research to drive significant shifts in understanding that lead to improved human health.
- Finding solutions for three of the world’s most urgent health challenges: Mental Health, global heating and infectious disease.
- Diversity and inclusion and research culture are central to the WT strategy and will be embedded in the work they fund.
The new discovery schemes are designed to give researchers more freedom, time and resources:
- Flexible level and duration of funding to deliver proposed research
- Usually 5- 8 years in duration but can be longer if held on a part time basis
- Three rounds of applications a year
Discovery Research Schemes:
- Early Career Awards - Provides funding for early-career researchers from any discipline who are ready to develop their research identity. Through innovative projects, they will deliver shifts in understanding that could improve human life, health and wellbeing. By the end of the award, they will be ready to lead their own independent research programme.
- Duration: Up to 5 years and more if part-time
- Funding available: Salary and up to £400,000 for research expenses
- Next submission deadline: 26th October 2021
- Career Development Awards - This scheme provides funding for mid-career researchers from any discipline who have the potential to be international research leaders. They will develop their research capabilities, drive innovative programmes of work and deliver significant shifts in understanding that could improve human life, health and wellbeing.
- Duration: Usually 8 years, but may be less for some disciplines and longer if held on a part-time basis
- Funding available: Salary (if required) and the resources you need for your research programme
- Next submission deadline: 16th November 2021
- Discovery Awards - This scheme provides funding for established researchers and teams from any discipline who want to pursue bold and creative research ideas to deliver significant shifts in understanding that could improve human life, health and wellbeing.
- Duration: Usually 8 years, but may be less for some disciplines, and longer if held on a part-time basis.
- Funding available: You should ask for the resources you need for your research programme
- Next submission deadline: 11th November 2021
For more information regarding these schemes please contact the Dr. Noreen Lacey [noreen.lacey(at)mu.ie] or you can submit your intent to apply via RIS.