Your loging account is your unique identifier for accessing all university systems. It is made up of a username, password and an official University email address. These details are used to access services such as:
- Office 365
- eduroam Wireless Network
- Staff Workbench
- Employee Self-Service Portal
- Public access computers across campus and printing facilities
Staff of Maynooth University - you will be provided with a logon account and email address through the Human Resources induction process. Staff of St. Patrick's College - you will be provided with a logon account and email address by completing the following form: SPCM Staff Account Application Form
All users should be aware that logging into Office 365 also logs them into Moodle. When on a public or shared computer, to be certain that no personal or academic information is accessed other than by the intended user, please make sure to log out of each service in turn. To log out of all services at once, log out of/shutdown the device. Personal devices should be locked with a password, PIN or equivalent to prevent third party access. Also, for security reasons, we would ask that you do not forward your University mail to a personal mailbox.
Students and staff, please use this manage password facility - MyPassword - to change your password.
As your logon details are used to access important and often personal information, please ensure that you keep your password safe and secure at all times.
As a staff member of Maynooth University or St. Patricks College, Maynooth (SPCM), you are provided with access to Microsoft Office 365. Office 365 includes email, calendar, OneDrive and Office software. This will be available for your term of employment.
- Your staff email address will use either @mu.ie (for Maynooth University) or @spcm.ie (for SPCM.)
- You have access to email, Office software and 1TB of OneDrive storage through your browser or dedicated apps.
- Office software including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote can be installed on your own computer(s) and mobile device(s) at no extra cost.
- Share files with your peers and collaborate with OneDrive and Office software.
- Use Teams for your departmental files, research project or with your class or colleagues.
How do I access Office 365?
You can access Office 365 from anywhere in the world, by visiting https://portal.office.com and logging in with your full email address (@mu.ie or @spcm.ie) and your usual password.
Access Office 365 on your mobile device
O365 Mobile Apps:
- Get access to your email and calendar using the Microsoft Outlook app (available for Android or iOS devices, simply search for "Microsoft Outlook" in the relevant app store.)
- The OneDrive app is also available - search for "Microsoft OneDrive" in the app store.
- For collaboration on the go, the Teams app is available - under "Microsoft Teams."IT Services only recommends installing the offical "Microsoft Corporation" version of these apps - please make sure "Microsoft Corporation" is listed as the publisher.
All of the Office 365 applications are also available by logging into https://portal.office.com through your mobile browser.
Access your Office 365 apps on mobile devices.
Office 365 Training
For help with using Office 365:
Get going quickly and easily with Office 365 Video Training
Save your documents to OneDrive if:
- you don’t plan on sharing them at all or if you plan to share files individually and on a short term basis.
- you can’t identify a team site where your document belongs
Save your documents to Teams if:
- you want to share ownership and permissions with a wider team group
- document is relevant to a new or existing team or ongoing project
- You receive 1TB of personal storage.
- OneDrive is accessible from any device (PC, laptop, phone or tablet) that has Internet access.
- You can then access the same documents across your other devices.
- You may collaborate on documents with others in real time (two or more people can work on it, at the same time.)
- You can create Word documents, Powerpoint slideshows or Excel spreadsheets in your browser and save them automatically to OneDrive.
- You can upload content from any other applications and save it to your OneDrive, for safe keeping.
- You can access your OneDrive directly from Moodle for any relevant assignments and essays.
Your OneDrive is an online storage system (that only you can access, but that you can share files or folders from.) OneDrive is accessible by clicking the OneDrive tile at when you log in at https://portal.office.com
Teams: Microsoft Teams information
You can access Office 365 from anywhere in the world, by visiting https://portal.office.com and logging in with your full email address (@mu.ie or @spcm.ie) and your usual password. Once you are logged in, you can then download and install the full suit of apps on up to five personl devices.
Review the following Microsoft Guide for further information: Install Office on your PC or Mac
If a staff member requires MFA enabled on their account they should send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step by step instructions for logging in using MFA:
We all create and use data in our work at the university. Data can take different forms including, but not limited to documents, spreadsheets, images, media files or presentations. Each user has a responsibility to maintain and protect the data s/he uses as a member of the University community.
For more information please click here.
The eduroam wireless service is available across the University for all staff and registered students of both MU and SPCM.
If you need any help in getting connected, please refer to the following for more information: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/it-services/wi-fi
HEAnet is Ireland's National Education and Research Network. They provide Internet connectivity and associated ICT services across all levels of the Irish Education sector. They offer discounts to staff and students on a range of products and services, including laptops and software. If you are hoping to purchase a new device for personal use, why not visit the HEAnet Store to view the great offers available.
An affiliate is defined as a person working for, or on behalf of, the University who will not be given a staff number, but who require access as if staff to Library & IT services. If you require an affiliate account, please complete this
Affiliate Account Application Form
and submit to email@example.com.
Module based mailing lists are available and will be updated nightly. Membership is refreshed with data from the Student Records System. Each list address is of the form: <MODULE-CODE>-firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailing lists can be setup upon request, of the form <listname>@lists.mu.ie. Membership must consist of University affiliated addresses (e.g., @mu.ie, @mumail.ie) - if you need to set up a mailing list containing third party (non Maynooth University) addresses, we recommend using a HEAnet hosted list: https://webforms.heanet.ie/listserv
Storage, Collaboration and Voice/Video calls, meetings or classes: An overview of using Microsoft Teams is available here. Microsoft Teams can be used for file storage and collaboration, and also used for voice/video calls, as well as online meetings & classes.
Accessing Services: The following services can be accessed without the need for VPN:
- Email, OneDrive, Teams and all other Office 365 apps
- Academic Database
- Core Portal
- CAO Admissions
- Student Web
VPN Access: In a limited number of cases, you may require access to the VPN. In the case that you are granted access to the VPN services, please review the following usage guidelines;
- Information about the VPN service can be accessed here.
- As licenses are limited, please ensure to logout when VPN access is no longer required
Accessing Voicemail Off-campus: Your voicemail can be accessed remotely by dialling (01) 7083400 followed by # and your extension number and PIN.
If you are currently working on a Windows 7 machine and are due an upgrade to Windows 10, please raise a ticket with Service Desk. Please ensure to provide the model of your current machine, along with the machine name (e.g. AB-DSK-123 OR AB-LAP-456) or Service Tag and we will get back to you on the status of this upgrade. We advise you to review the following information, prior to raising a ticket: