You should choose a password that's both memorable, and secure. Good passwords are easy for humans to remember, yet hard for computers to guess. The best strategy is defence in length.
Our password policy only enforces length, but it's best to add in some complexity too, just do it in a way you'll find easy to remember.
- Do not share your MU password with anyone
- Do not re-use your MU password anywhere
You are provided with a MU staff account to carry out University business for the duration of your employment. If you have finished work with the University, your contract will cease and your staff account will be disabled on schedule. Please note that accounts will be deleted after 6 weeks from end of contract date. If a new contract is issued after this time, a new account will be created and all old data will have been deleted.
If you are planning to continue working with the University in subsequent months, you may wish to apply for a 6 month (maximum) extension, however we must receive approval of this request from your Head of Department or Dean of Faculty prior to your account being deleted (before the 6 weeks period, as mentioned above), to confirm that you wish to retain access to your staff account for an additional 6 months. If you are unsure if you will be returning to work with your department, you may wish to apply for an affiliate account, see form on the following webpage: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/it-services/staff. But once again, we must receive this fully completed and signed form with the relevant approval from your HoD.
If you are a research student (PhD or Masters) you must continue to use your student account for your research or thesis, as extensions to staff accounts for student purposes will not be granted once the term of employment ends.
If you were previously provided with an affiliate account but you have received details for a MU staff account, the following information will guide you through the process of moving data from one account type to another:
The example used below for demonstration pruposes will be that of someone with a MU affiliate account that has since been provided with a full MU staff account. To complete the transfer of data from one account to another:
1. Make a list:
- Make a list of all MU resources to which you currently have access, e.g. MU email, OneDrive files, Teams, Moodle course spaces, Peach or willow file shares, etc. Take a note of any MU resource that requires you to sign in with your credentials.
2. Move your mail:
3. Move your files:
4. Request access to other resources:
- Email email@example.com to request access to any additional resources to which you may have had access. Example: If you move from a staff account to an affiliate account, or vice versa, then the email address in Core must be changed to the new email address otherwise you will not gain successful access to the ESS system.