Qualification : BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE
Award Type and NFQ level : UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE (8)
CAO/PAC code : MH212
CAO Points : 443
Closing Date : 01 July 2023
If you are interested in a career as a second-level science and/or mathematics teacher, this may be the degree for you.
You will study with the Maynooth University Department of Education who are committed to reflecting on and interrogating the purposes, principles and values underpinning educational policy, practice and theory. You will take a five year route to second-level teaching instead of a six-year route.
Why choose this degree?
As an undergraduate, you will study a four-year Science degree, while also completing 60 credits in Education.
After four years you are awarded a BSc Science (with Education) degree – a level 8 honours degree. You now have two pathways open to you:
- You can choose to exit your studies with your level 8 qualification and take a different path in your education or career.
- You can continue with your studies to become a fully qualified teacher. This means you complete one further year of study at postgraduate level - required in order to meet the Teaching Council requirements to be registered as a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) in two subjects. Having graduated with your Level 8 BSc Science (with Education) degree, you are guaranteed your place in this postgraduate year. At the end of year five of your studies, you will be a fully qualified second-level science and mathematics teacher, up to Leaving Certificate level. Through this pathway you are fully qualified after five years rather than taking the six year route (details of the six-year route are outlined in the next bullet point above).
For those students who may not achieve the points necessary to secure a place on MH212, an alternative, six-year route to second-level teaching is available. You can take the BSc Bachelor of Science degree (MH201) for four years and then apply for a place on the Level 9 Professional Master of Education degree. The PME is a two-year, full-time programme designed to qualify graduates to teach at second level. Entry to the PME is competitive and is not guaranteed to graduates of the BSc Bachelor of Science degree.
Study for four years as an undergraduate for a two-subject Science degree, while also completing 60 credits in Education. After four years you are awarded a BSc Science (with Education) degree – a level 8 honours degree. To become a fully qualified teacher, you must complete one further year.
Having graduated with the Level 8 BSc Science (with Education) degree after four years, you are guaranteed a place in year five - the one year Level 9 Professional Master of Education. At the end of year five, you will be a fully qualified and registered second level science teacher
- After four years of concurrent Science and Education studies, students may graduate with a Level 8 honours degree in Science (with Education).
- To become a fully qualified science teacher, students must complete a fifth year of study at Masters level – the Professional Master of Education. Once you reach the required standards after 4th year, the place in 5th year is guaranteed.
Department of Adult and Community Education
Department of Education
Department of ALL Institute
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any written tests that may be required, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2023 to the Access Office.
Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
For further information on the supporting documentation required, as well as examination and other supports visit the Access Office website.
01 February 2023
HEAR and DARE
APPLY TO THE CAO
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are.
Click here for all information about how to apply.
CAO applicants may also consider the BSc MH201 degree as another potential route into MH212. There is a transfer pathway from 1st year BSc MH201 Science to 2nd year MH212 SED Science (with Education) for students who have taken Biology, Chemistry, Experimental Physics and Mathematics. Places are limited and are based on 1st year results and possible interview.
These transfers are subject to the availability of places, the student's performance in first year and an interview.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students